Athlete Showcase – July 2013
City and State of birth: Philadelphia, PA
Favorite color: Blue
High school attended: Myrtle Point High School in Myrtle Point, OR
Family: Husband of 19 years – Seth; Son of 11 years – Ethan
Occupation: Stay At Home Mom! I’ve homeschooled our son for 6 years. I also volunteer my time on the Board of Directors for the Hillsboro HEAT Swim Team.
What do you do to relax? Take/edit photos, read, Netflix, plan projects.
Why you CrossFit: It’s motivating to gain strength and see positive changes in my health, fitness and physical shape, even as I’m nearing 40! The classes of friendly folks, coaches and location make it an easy investment for me.
Your favorite CrossFit movement: Deadlift
Your least favorite CrossFit movement: Burpees, ring pushups
Favorite book: To Kill a Mockingbird; A Million Miles in a Thousand Years
Book you are reading: Recently finished The Paleo Coach. Currently reading The Inner Game of Tennis.
Diet: aleo-ish, but I’ve always had a sweet tooth!
Favorite meal/food: Grilled salmon, mashed potatoes, roasted veggies.
Music preference: Fairly eclectic…folk-rock, bluegrass, blues-rock, gospel, 80s music, classic rock
Music preference during workout: Something loud enough to cover the sound of my knees creaking. Generally prefer stuff without a bunch of expletives. J
Dream location to visit: Greece, Scotland
Favorite/Most memorable CrossFit moment: Spring Showdown, lifting 315 on the deadlift ladder; watching Cat win event #5 at NW Regionals 2013.
Do you drink a gallon of fluids a day? Probably not.
Favorite past-time: Taking photos, organizing, quilting
Random bits of info:
- I love black licorice. And M&Ms. But not together.
- I’ve never drank any alcohol (don’t like the smell!).
- But I do like Root Beer. J
- I don’t drink coffee (too bitter!).
- My first car was a 1970 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia.
- Ran the Portland Marathon twice (1998 and 2000).
- Ran leg 6 on Hood to Coast four times (1997-2000).
- I’ve never colored or permed my hair.
- Long fingernails bug me.
- I use an iron as little as humanly possible.
- When I was 8 years old, I hula-hooped for 1 hour and 1 minute without stopping.
- I’ve lived in PA, ND, AK, TX, OR, but mostly OR.
- The only time I’ve water-skied was on a lake in AK.
- My favorite season is fall.
- I like to wear Birkenstocks.
- I used to decorate cakes as a hobby/side business.
- A favorite Bible verse: “Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.” Galatians 6:9